Standard Deadline: February 01, 2023
The GRE is optional for the GMU Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience MA program.
Pre-requisite coursework: Applicants to the MA must have 15 credits in psychology including a general/introductory course, a course in statistics, and a laboratory course in psychology.
Academically strong Mason undergraduates with a commitment to research or graduate or professional studies can apply for an accelerated Master’s program and earn a Bachelor’s and a Master’s in five years.
Accelerated Master’s Application Requirements
Accelerated Master’s Program-Specific Instructions
Prior to submitting your application, meet with the Bachelor’s/Accelerated Master’s (BAM) Coordinator, director of your undergraduate program and with the director of the master’s program.
- Complete at least 12 credits at Mason.
- Complete 12 hours of psychology coursework which must include:
- PSYC 300-Statistics
- PSYC 375-Brain and Sensory Processes and PSYC 376-Brain and Behavior two course sequence (this is the recommended path). Alternatively, students can have completed PSYC 372-Biopsychology and still be eligible for the program.
- PSYC 301-Research Methods and coursework in biology and chemistry is strongly encouraged.
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member who will serve as student's advisor.
- Students are strongly encouraged to have obtained previous lab experience.
- Be familiar with the: policies for accelerated master's programs
English Proficiency Requirements
All Mason students must have a full command of academic English to be successful in their studies. For this reason, Mason requires applicants to demonstrate English proficiency for admission consideration, regardless of citizenship. Click here to view the requirements.
International Transcript Requirements
All transcripts from colleges or universities outside the United States must be translated into English, if applicable, and submitted for evaluation to the Mason Office of Admissions. Mason will provide evaluation service free of charge for all international transcripts, however, some programs may request an outside evaluation be completed. Because of volume, more time may be needed to process applications requiring a Mason evaluation. You should submit your application 6 weeks prior to the deadline if you plan to utilize Mason’s free evaluation service. For expedited service, students may submit their documents to any NACES member organization at their own expense. If you decide to use an external evaluation service or if your program requires an outside evaluation, GPA and Degree equivalences must be included with your course-by-course evaluation. Mason evaluations are used for internal purposes and are not released to applicants. For information on international transcript requirements, go here.